Word of 30th July 2007: A Word A Day-Genteel
( Adjective )
Genteel : (jen-tel')...(used of persons and their behavior)
1. Refined in manner; well-bred and polite
2. Free from vulgarity or rudeness
3. Elegantly stylish
4. Marked by affected and somewhat prudish refinement
5. Maintaining or striving to maintain the appearance of superior or middle-class social status or respectability
• All of the guests at the wedding appeared to be very genteel.
• When she first came to this country and had that genteel old man to watch over her, she was as pretty a girl as ever I saw.
• Among those who failed to appear were the genteel lady and her old- maidish daughter.
• American author who wrote genteel mystery stories revolving around the elegantly eccentric and reclusive detective Nero Wolfe and his wisecracking aide, Archie Goodwin died in this hospital.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms