Friday, 15th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective & Noun )
Pronunciation : ąrrÅ¨-mįttik
1. giving off a distinctive and pleasant smell
2. CHEMISTRY : describes organic compounds that contain one or more rings of carbon atoms and undergo chemical reactions that are characteristic of benzene. About half of all organic compounds are aromatic
3. An aromatic plant or substance, such as a medication
4. CHEMISTRY : An aromatic organic compound
14th century - Via French - Greek arÅ¨matikos - arÅ¨ma - spice
ambrosial, balmy, fragrant, odoriferous, perfumed, pungent, redolent, savory, scented, spicy, sweet, sweet-smelling
• Odoriferous means having an odor or fragrance.
• Odorous refers to something smelly.
• Having a sharp taste is pungent.
• Having a pleasingly sharp taste is piquant.
acrid, stinky, unscented, odorless, bland, unsavory
• The perfume counter was unusually aromatic.
• At night time she sang or played with the windows open, Wingrave himself out of sight under the cedar trees, whose perfume filled with aromatic sweetness the still night air.
• The heavy smell was replaced by the smell of aromatic vinegar, which Kitty with pouting lips and puffed-out, rosy cheeks was squirting through a little pipe.
• There is an undergrowth of aromatic shrubs, creepers and clambering vines that render the forests almost impenetrable.
• aromatically : Adverb
• aromaticness : Noun
Common Misspellings of Trenchant:
A Word A Day Index