Saturday, 31st May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : bay-náll-tee
1. conventional or dull ordinariness
2. an ordinary remark or feature that lacks originality
3. a trite or obvious remark
Origin : 1745–55
bromide, cliché, commonplace, platitude, stereotype, truism, triteness, predictability, ordinariness, dullness, triviality, facileness
coinage, innovation, nuance, original saying, originality
• The banality of the speaker's remarks put the audience to sleep.
• Television commercials are full of banalities.
• Banality is a terribly likely consequence of the underused of a good mind. That is why in particular it is a female affliction.
• Banality is a symptom of non-communication. Men hide behind their clichs.
• A mental disease has swept the planet: banalization presented with the alternative of love or a garbage disposal unit, young people of all countries have chosen the garbage disposal unit.
• banalization : Noun
• banal : Adjective
• banalities : Noun - Plural
A Word A Day Index