Wednesday, 5th December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb )
Pronunciation : bi-gil
1. To mislead or deceive somebody ( literary )
2. To rob somebody of something, or cheat somebody out of something ( literary )
3. To pass time in a pleasant way ( literary )
4. To win and hold somebody's attention, interest or devotion
Middle English bigilen : bi-, be- + gilen, to deceive
entice, lure, charm, captivate, mesmerize, hypnotize, fascinate, enthrall, put under a spell, appeal to, attract
put off, threaten
• I suffered a disease that has beguiled me of strength.
1.Beguilement : Noun
2.Beguiler : Noun
3.Beguilingly : Adverb
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index