Friday, 1st February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : yoo-fonee-ess
1. having a pleasant sound
2. Pleasing or agreeable to the ear
3. Resembling or having the effect of music, especially pleasing music
4. Characterized by agreeableness of sound
5. (of speech or dialect) pleasing in sound, not harsh or strident
1727, a physician's term for - condition of feeling healthy and comfortable (especially when sick) - from Gk. euphoria - power of bearing easily, fertility - from euphoros lit. - bearing well - from eu- well + pherein - to carry
agreeable, clear, dulcet, harmonious, mellifluous, melodious, musical, rhythmic, smooth, sweet-sounding, tuneful, well-pitched, euphonic, melodic
• The opera singer has a very euphonious speaking voice.
• She beacame famous for her sweet and euphonious voice.
• Euphoniously : Adverb
• Euphoniousness : Noun
• Euphony : Noun
• Euphoria : Noun
• Euphorbia : Noun
• Euphonium : Noun
• Euphonically : Adverb
• Euphonic : Adjective
• Euphoriant : Adjective
• Euphonize : Verb
A Word A Day Index