Word for 5th August 2007: A Word A Day : Lassitude
( Noun )
Pronunciation :(las'i-tud'& las'i--tyud')
1. A state or feeling of weariness
2. Mental lethargy or dullness
3. A feeling of lack of interest or energy
4. Weakness characterized by a lack of vitality or energy
5. The property of lacking physical or mental strength
6. A deficiency in mental and physical alertness and activity
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin lassitűdô, from lassus, weary
• Her rapid footsteps shook her own floors, and she routed lassitude and indifference wherever she came.
• A continuing lassitude could be the result of a serious medical condition.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms