Friday, 17th August 2007 : Today's Word is...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : (mil-yu'& my-ly0u')
1. An environment or a setting
2. The totality of surrounding conditions and circumstances affecting growth or development
3. The sphere in which each individual lives and which he or she is affected by. This sphere includes the tangible objects and people, the social and cultural phenomena, and the images which influence human behaviour.
4. The environmental condition
French, from Old French, center : mi, middle (from Latin medius) + lieu, place (from Latin locus)
• A caring and involved community is the proper milieu for raising a family.
• The farmer on vacation in the big city felt out of his milieu.
• The mysterious green light was in itself a milieu of horror.
Milieus : Noun (Plural)
Milieux : Noun (Plural)
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index