Saturday, 19th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun & Adjective )
Pronunciation : noo-trel
Definition : Adjective
1. belonging to, favoring or assisting no side in a war, dispute, contest or controversy
2. possessing no distinctive quality or revealing no attitude or feeling
3. describes a color such as white, black, or gray that is not in the spectrum
4. not strongly or strikingly colored and thus relatively inconspicuous and able to blend easily with other colors
5. Chemistry : neither acidic nor alkaline
Definition : Noun
1. automotive : a gear in which no power is transmitted from the engine to the moving parts
2. politics : a person or country that remains neutral in a war, dispute, contest, or controversy
14th century - Latin - ne - not + uter - which of two
impartial, neuter, nonaligned, nonpartisan, unbiased, uncommitted, uninvolved, unprejudiced, detached, disinterested, dispassionate, impersonal, indifferent
biased, committal, partial, partisan, predisposed, prejudiced, bright, colorful, loud, strong
• During World War II Portugal was neutral.
• She was careful to explain the problem in neutral terms.
• Switzerland remained neutral during World War II.
• she slipped the gear into neutral.
• I am by disposition one of life's neutrals, a human Switzerland.
• neuter : Verb
• neutrally : Adverb
A Word A Day Index