Monday, 10th December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : óbble-kwee
1. Abusively detractive language or utterance
2. Statements that severely criticize or defame somebody
3. A state of disgrace brought about by being defamed
4. A false and malicious publication printed for the purpose of defaming a living person
15th century - late Latin obloquium - talking against - loqui - to talk
Censure, Criticism, Defamation, Blame, Opprobrium, Bad Press, Attack, Character Assassination, Disgrace, Shame, Infamy, Ignominy, Disfavor, Dishonor, Humiliation, Odium, Disrepute
• I have had enough obloquy for one lifetime .
• He is one of those who will find eternal obloquy if The Hague Conference comes to a successful termination.
Go to The A Word A Day Index