Friday, 8th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : póllee-màwrfic
1. Consisting of a number of different kinds
2. Occurring in several forms
3. relating to the crystallization of a compound in two or more different forms
4. relating to the occurrence of more than one kind of individual (independent of sexual differences) in an interbreeding population
Early 17th century - poly meaning many - morphos - derivative of morph - form
assorted, divers, diverse, diversified, heterogeneous, miscellaneous, mixed, motley, multifarious, multiform, sundry, varied, variegated, various, polymorphous
same, unipolar, uniformic
• Man is both polymorphic and polytypic animal.
• In rudimentary organs, and in those which have been but little specialised for any particular purpose, and perhaps in polymorphic groups, we see a nearly parallel natural case.
• Polymorphous : Adjective
• polymorph : Noun
• polymorphism : Noun
• polymorphously : Adverb
• polymorphically : Adverb
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index