Thursday, 29th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : un-weel-dee
1. hard to handle because of being large, heavy or awkward
2. too complex or extensive to be manageable
3. difficult to carry or manage because of size, shape, weight or complexity
awkward, bulky, clumsy, ungainly, unhandy, unmanageable, burdensome, cumbersome, cumbrous, elephantine, heavy, involved, ponderous, ungainly, weighty
• A bed mattress is unwieldy to move from one room to another.
• The unwieldy crowd which had entered the Medical School nearly two years before had thinned out.
• A piano is an unwieldy thing to move.
• We set about towing the unwieldy structure into the shelter.
• He heaved his unwieldy figure out of his chair.
• unwieldier & unwieldiest : Adjectives
• unwieldily : Adverb
• unwieldiness : Noun
This word is often incorrectly spelled and pronounced unwieldly, as if it were formed with the common adjectival ending -ly.
A Word A Day Index