Friday, 16th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : ve-hi-ment
1. expressed with or showing conviction or intense feeling
2. done with vigor or force
3. characterized by forcefulness of expression or intensity of emotion or conviction
15th century - Via Old French - Latin - vehement - forceful, violent
fervent, passionate, heated, violent, intense, vigorous, desperate, fierce, furious, terrible
• Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak.
• He saw a vehement young man, powder-smeared and frowzled, whom he knew to be him.
• The old man was beside himself: moved the chair on which he was sitting noisily backward and forward, made efforts to control himself and not become vehement, but almost always did become vehement, scolded and sometimes flung the exercise book away.
• vehemently : Adverb
• vehemence : Noun
• vehemency : Noun
A Word A Day Index