Sunday, 20th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb )
Pronunciation : wood'l & hwood'l
1. to coax or try to persuade somebody to do something using flattery, guile, or other indirect means
2. to persuade or attempt to persuade by flattery or guile
3. to obtain something from somebody by coaxing, persuasion, flattery, guile, or other indirect means
4. to use flattery or cajolery to achieve one's ends
5. to influence by gentle urging, caressing or flattering
Origin is not known.
cajole, palaver, blarney, coax, sweet-talk, inveigle, blandish, honey
• Do not try to wheedle the information out of me by using flattery.
• She is a wheedler who wheedled my life savings out of me.
• wheedler : Verb
• wheedlingly : Adverb
A Word A Day Index