Monday, 25th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : wímzik'l & hwímzik'l
1. Erratic in behavior or degree of unpredictability
2. Slightly odd or playfully humorous, especially in an endearing way
3. Behaving in a way that is impossible to predict
4. Of the nature of or proceeding from whimsy, as thoughts or actions
5. Based on or subject to individual discretion or preference or sometimes impulse or caprice
6. Determined by chance or impulse rather than by necessity or reason
Probably from whim-wham - fanciful object.
capricious, changeable, erratic, fantastic, fantastical, fickle, freakish, inconsistent, inconstant, mercurial, temperamental, ticklish, uncertain, unpredictable, unstable, unsteady, variable, volatile
behaving, reasonable, sensible, dependable, serious, practical
• I enjoyed the whimsical film until the animals became dangerous.
• Men who pay for what they eat will insist on gratifying their palates, however nice and whimsical these may prove.
• As I lay in bed this morning between sleeping and waking, an idea came riding on a sunbeam into my room, a mad and whimsical idea, but one that suits my mood.
• whimsicality : Noun
• whimsicalness : Noun
• whimsically : Adverb
A Word A Day Index