These ROOT-WORDS are the three-fold changes (E, EC & EF) of the Prefix EXAll these ROOT-WORDS mean OUT. The first change was to drop the X which is an awkward letter to use, so we have E standing alone. Then the X was changed to C making the ROOT-WORD EC. The last change I’m sure you guessed – assimilation of X with F so we have EF. E, EC & EF = OUT.
1. Eject: E ject (e jekt’) v.
To throw out
2. Ejaculate: E jaculate (e jak’ yu late) v.
To call out; exclaim
3. Elaborate: E laborate (e jak’ yu late) v.
To work out carefully
4. Emanate: E manate (em’ a nate) v.
To flow out; as, fragrance from roses
5. Eccentric: EC centric (ek sen’ trik) adj.
Having a different center; odd ways
6. Eclipse: EC lipse ( e klips’) v.
Darken; to hide; as, an eclipse of the sun
7. Ecstasy: EC stasy (ek’ sta see) n.
Joy out of control; overwhelming emotion
8. Eczema: EC zema (ek zee’ ma) n.
A breaking out of the skin
9. Effect: EF fect (e fekt’) n.
The outcome; result
10. Effete: EF fete (e fete’) adj.
Lacking fertility; worn out; tired
11. Effort: EF for (ef’ fort) n.
Exertion of strength; an attempt
12. Effulgent: EF fulgent (e ful’ jent) adj.
Shining out; brilliant; as, effulgent rays of the sun
13. Efflux: EF flux (ef’ lunks) n.
A flowing out
14. Effusion: EF fusion (e fyue’ zhun) n.
A pouring out; an escape of fluids
15. Effusive: EF fusive (e fyue’ sive) adj.
Pouring forth freely; gushing
16. Effervesce: EF fervesce (ef er ves’) v.
To bubble; display liveliness
17. Effervescent: EF fervescent (ef er ves’ ent) adj.
18. Effeminate: EF feminate (e fem’ I naf) adj.
Wanting in manliness; having qualities that are feminine