English Grammar Index From Foreign Words to HOME PAGE
There are few Foreign Words which we widely use in our English writings and conversations.Examples :
Learn the following :
- Ab initio = from the very beginning.
I have studied Economics ab initio.
- Ad hoc = established for a special purpose.
An ad hoc committee was appointed.
- Alma mater = mother institutions.
We must always honour and remember our alma mater.
- Alter ego = bosom friend
Mr. Raj is my alter ego.
- Alpha and Omega = beginning and end
- Ad libitum = as much as you please
- Anno Domini = in the year of our Lord A.D.
- Alumni = Ex-students of college
- Bona fide = regular, genuine
- De facto = real
- De gratia = by the grace of God
- En masse = in a mass
- En route = on the way
- Ex – parte = on one side only
- Ibid = in the same book, chapter
- Ex – officio = in virtue of one’s office
- Idest = That is to say
- Ipso facto = by that very fact
- Nota bene = N.B. take notice
- Par capital = very rare and unique
- Per capital = per individual
- Prima facio = based on the first impression
- Vice versa = in opposed ways
- Viva vise = oral test