Pronunciation : háwree
1. old and stale from overuse
2. describes hair that has become white or gray with age
3. covered with gray or white hairs
4. so old as to inspire veneration
5. tedious from familiarity
6. showing characteristics of age
7. belonging to, existing or occurring in times long past
comparative : hoarier
superlative : hoariest
Origin : bef. 900; ME hor, OE hār; c. ON hārr gray with age, OFris hér gray, OHG hér old
age-old, ancient, antediluvian, antiquated, antique, archaic, old, olden, old-time, timeworn, venerable, overused, stale, worn, worn-out, white, snow-white, whitened, snowy, silvery, silver, silvered, gray, grayed, elderly, trite
fresh, contemporary, modern, new, young, cutting edge, forward-looking, modernistic, recent, original
• When at some distance from the multitude, the old man turned slowly round, displaying a face of antique majesty, rendered doubly venerable by the hoary beard that descended on his breast.
• Please don't tell that hoary joke at dinner again tonight.
• Do we have to hear those hoary knock-knock jokes again?
• The grayness of the whole immense surface, the wind furrows upon the faces of the waves, the great masses of foam, tossed about and waving, like matted white locks, give to the sea in a gale an appearance of hoary age, lustreless, dull, without gleams, as though it had been created before light itself.
• hoarily : Adverb
• hoariness : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.