A Word A Day : Idiosyncrasy
Sunday, 9th September 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : (ID ee oh SINK ruh see)
1. A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group
2. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity
3. An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug
4. Peculiar behavior
5. Any characteristic that is peculiar to an individual
Greek idiosunkrasia : idio-, idio- + sunkrasis, mixture, temperament (sun-, syn- + krasis, a mixing)
6. Personal mannerism
• Eating green beans drenched in ketchup for breakfast was one of Jordana's idiosyncrasies
• The doctor's interest was aroused by an idiosyncrasy
in Bill's skull: there seemed to be a coin slot in the back of his head.
• For his family, grandpa's one idiosyncrasy
of talking too much was hard to bear.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |
From Idiosyncrasy to HOME PAGE