An Interjection is a word which expresses some sudden feeling or emotions.
• Hello! What are you doing here?
• Alas! He is dead.
• Hurrah! We have own the game.
• Ah! Have they gone?
• Oh! I got such a fright.
• Hush! Do not make a noise. Mt child is sleeping.
Such words Hello, Alas, Hurrah, Ah, Oh and Hush are used to express the emotions or sudden feelings.
The words of Interjection may be used to express joy, grief, surprise or approval.
• In case of Joy the following words are used.
Hurrah, Huzza etc…
• In case of Grief, the following words are used.
Alas, Oh my god etc…
• In case of Surprise, the following words are used.
Ha, What etc…
• In case of Approval, the following words are used.
Bravo, Your goodness etc…
These words are used only to express the sudden feelings. They will be noticed that they are not grammatically related
to the other parts of the sentence.
Few other groups of words are also used to express the sudden feelings.
Ah me, for shame, Well done, Good gracious etc…
Go to the section on 'Mood' to continue.
Go to the Grammar Index Page