A Word A Day : Intractable
Friday, 24th August 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : (in-trak'te-bel)
1. Difficult to manage or govern
2. Difficult to mold or manipulate
3. To play (a card) as a finesse
4. Difficult to alleviate, remedy, or cure
5. Not submitting to discipline or control
6. Boldly resisting authority or an opposing force
7. Not obeying or complying with commands of those in authority
8. Tenaciously unwilling or marked by tenacious unwillingness to yield
• The intractable
child was a torment to his nursery school teacher.
• Bill was intractable
in his opposition to pay increases for the library employees. He swore he would never vote to give them a raise.
• The disease was intractable
. None of the dozens of medicines the doctor tried had the slightest effect on it.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |
From Intractableness to HOME PAGE