A Word A Day : Kith
Wednesday, 30th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : Ki-th
1. somebody's friends and acquaintances
2. a group of people living in the same area and forming a culture with a common language, customs, economy, etc., usually endogamous
3. persons living in the same general locality and forming a more or less cohesive group
Kith and Kin
: kindred more or less remote
Origin: bef. 900; ME; OE cȳth, earlier cȳththu kinship, knowledge, equiv. to cûth
family, kindred, kinfolk, kinsman, kinswoman, relation, Kin, friends, relatives
• One would be in less danger From the wiles of the stranger If one's own kin and kith
Were more fun to be with.
• Nevertheless, she felt a little resentment that Anne Shirley, who was, after all, merely an adopted orphan, without kith
or kin, should refuse her brother -- one of the Avonlea Andrews.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Kith to HOME PAGE