A Word A Day : Ornate
Wednesday, 16th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
Pronunciation : awr-náyt
1. having elaborate or excessive decoration
2. using or consisting of elaborate language, especially language that is designed to impress with its complexity or literary quality
3. elaborately, heavily and often excessively ornamented
4. marked by elaborate rhetoric and elaborated with decorative details
Early 16th century - Latin ornatus, past participle of ornare - equip
baroque, flamboyant, florid, rococo, decorative, overelaborate, sumptuous, lavish, elaborate, rich, ornamental, opulent, high-flown, flowery, wordy, verbose, elaborate, complex, metaphorical, highly wrought, complicated, overelaborate
plain, simple, unadorned
• They bought an ornate Louis XIV sofa.
• He is well known for his ornate style of writing.
• As they removed the last of the dirt from the ornate box, they paused in wonder and trepidation at what might lie within.
• He would willingly have made the service more ornate than had been usual in the low-church parish of Blackstable and in his secret soul he yearned for processions and lighted candles.
• ornateness : Noun
• ornately : Adverb
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Follow These Links!