Requirement of appropriate word for the appropriate occasion is inevitable because only with a good knowledge of words one can express the thoughts and feelings meticulously. So, this page, which contains a wide range of words arranged with along with their usages, will prove to be a ready reckoner and reference for any person who requires words at hand for appropriate use.
Paradox (PAR uh DOCKS) n: a true statement or phenomenon that nonetheless seems to contradict itself, an untrue statement or phenomenon that nonetheless seems logical
• Mr. Cooper is a political paradox. He is a staunch Republican who votes only for Democrats.
• One of Reno’s paradoxes seems to prove the impossibility of an arrow's ever reaching its target. If the arrow first moves half the distance to the target, then half the remaining distance, then half the remaining distance, and so on, it can never arrive.
• A paradox is paradoxical.
• Hubert’s dislike of ice cream was paradoxical, considering that he worked as an ice cream taster.
Parochial (puh ROH kee ul) adj: narrow or confined in point of view, provincial
• The townspeople's concerns were entirely parochial. They worried only about what happened in their town and not about the larger world around it.
• The journalist's parochial point of view prevented him from becoming a nationally known figure.
• A lot of people think that the parochial school is the religious school. Actually, the parochial school is the school of the parish or neighborhood. In other contexts, though, parochial has negative connotations.
We have tried our best to make this site as informative as possible. It will certainly help in broadening the horizons of knowledge of the visitors. We also apologize for the mistakes which are not deliberately committed. Both suggestions and criticisms to enhance the quality of this site are sincerely welcomed. Use our Contact Us form to submit both your suggestions and criticisms.
This site in general and this page in particular will certainly help the visitors to increase their knowledge of vocabulary in an exhaustive way. Whilst browsing through this list, at one full swoop you will pick up many words with the same or a related and the opposite meaning.
So enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.