Requirement of appropriate word for the appropriate occasion is inevitable because only with a good knowledge of words one can express the thoughts and feelings meticulously. So, this page, which contains a wide range of words arranged alphabetically with maximum number of Difficult Words along with their usages, will prove to be a ready reckoner and reference for any person who requires words at hand for appropriate use.
Peccadillo (PEK uh DIL oh) n: a minor offence
• The smiling defendant acted as though first-degree murder were a mere peccadillo rather than a hideous crime.
• The reporters sometimes seemed more interested in the candidate’s sexual peccadilloes than in their insane programs and proposals.
Pedantic (puh DAN tik) adj: boringly scholarly or academic
• The discussion quickly turned pedantic as each participant tried to sound more learned than all others.
• Perivale’s feelings about love were mostly pedantic. He has read about love in books but had never really encountered it in his life.
• The professor's interpretation of the poem was pedantic and empty of genuine feeling.
• A pedantic person is called a pedant.
We have tried our best to make this site as informative as possible. It will certainly help in broadening the horizons of knowledge of the visitors. We also apologize for the mistakes which are not deliberately committed. Both suggestions and criticisms to enhance the quality of this site are sincerely welcomed. Use our Contact Us form to submit both your suggestions and criticisms.
This site in general and this page in particular will certainly help the visitors to increase their knowledge of vocabulary in an exhaustive way. Whilst browsing through this list, at one full swoop you will pick up many words with the same or a related and the opposite meaning.
So enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
By using this page, you can increase your vocabulary faster and more easily than you may realize. You can, in fact, accomplish a tremendous gain in your communication skills in less than two to three months of concentrated effort, even if you go at your own speed of a page a day.