• The words poignant and pointed are very closely related and they share much of the same range of meaning.
• A poignant scene is one that is so emotional or moving that it is almost painful to watch.
• All the reporters stopped taking notes as they watched the old woman's poignant reunion with her daughter whom she hadn't seen in last five years.
• Poignant can also mean pointed in the sense of sharp or astute. A poignant comment might be one that shows great insight.
• To be poignant is to have poignancy.
Plethora (PLETH ur uh) n: an excess
• Be careful not to mispronounce this word.
• We ate a plethora of candy on Halloween and a plethora of turkey on Thanksgiving.
• Letting the air force use our backyard as a bombing range created a plethora of problems.
This site in general and this page in particular will certainly help the visitors to increase their knowledge of vocabulary in an exhaustive way. Whilst browsing through this list, at one full swoop you will pick up many words with the same or a related and the opposite meaning.
Reading this list is a great fun, while expanding your vocabulary at the same time. It is meant to help to improve the vocabulary of the visitors, the students (who are preparing for various examinations), the authors, journalists, literati and all other people who are interested in improving their language skills.
So enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
By using this page, you can increase your vocabulary faster and more easily than you may realize. You can, in fact, accomplish a tremendous gain in your communication skills in less than two to three months of concentrated effort, even if you go at your own speed of a page a day.