A Word A Day : Preternatural
Thursday, 22nd November 2007 : Today's Word is ...
Pronunciation : preter-náchurel
1. out of the ordinary course of nature; exceptional or abnormal
2. outside of nature
3. Surpassing the normal or usual, extraordinary
4. of, coming from, or relating to forces or beings that exist outside the natural world
Medieval Latin praeternātūrālis, from Latin praeter nātūrām, beyond nature : praeter, beyond - preterit + nātūra, nature
aberrant, abnormal, anomalistic, anomalous, atypic, atypical, deviant, divergent, irregular, unnatural, extramundane, extrasensory, metaphysical, miraculous, superhuman, supernatural, superphysical, supersensible, transcendental, unearthly
common, conventional, customary, natural, normal, regular, standard, straight, typical, unexceptional, usual
• Below his preternatural affability there is some acid and steel.
• Nevertheless, the old sea-traditions, the immemorial credulities, popularly invested this old Manxman with preternatural powers of discernment.
1. preternaturally: Adverb
2. preternaturalism: Noun
3. preternaturalness: Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Follow These Links!