Sample Outline :
Here is an example of an outline that a student might create before
writing an essay. In order to organize her thoughts and make sure that
she has not forgotten any key points that she wants to address, she
creates the outline as a framework for her essay.
What is the assignment?
Your instructor asks the class to write an expository (explanatory)
essay on the typical steps a high school student would follow in order to
apply to college.
What is the purpose of this essay?
To explain the process for applying to college
Who is the intended audience for this essay?
High school students intending to apply to college and their
What is the essay's thesis statement?
When applying to college, a student follows a certain process which
includes choosing the right schools and preparing the application
The College Application Process :
Other Pages in This Section :
Developing An Outline : This resource describes why outlines are useful, what types of outlines exist, suggestions for developing effective outlines, and how outlines can be used as an invention strategy for writing.
Why and How to Create one? : Creating an outline before writing your paper will make organizing your thoughts a lot easier.
- Choose Desired Colleges :
- Visit and evaluate college campuses
- Visit and evaluate college websites
- look for interesting classes
- note important statistics
- student/faculty ratio
- retention rate
- Prepare Application :
- Write Personal Statement
- Choose interesting topic
- Describe an influential person in your life
- favorite high school teacher
- Include important personal details
- volunteer work
- participation in varsity sports
- Revise personal statement
- Compile Resume :
- List relevant coursework
- List work experience
- List volunteer experience
- tutor at foreign language summer camp
- counselor for suicide prevention hotline
English Writing Resources Index
From Sample Outline to HOME PAGE