Writ, Write and Writing
• The court issued a writ to prevent the trade union from going on strike.
Write : verb : to put words or figures on to paper
• She wrote a letter of complaint to the manager.
NOTE : writing - wrote - has written
Write Down : verb : to note an asset at a lower value than previously
• Written down value
Write Down : noun : noting of an asset at a lower value
Write Off : verb : to cancel (a debt) or to remove an asset from the accounts as having no value
• To write off bad debts
Write-Off : noun : total loss or cancellation of a bad debt or removal of an asset's value in a company's accounts
• The car was a write-off
Write Out : verb : to write in full
• She wrote out the minutes of the meeting from her notes.
Writing : noun : something which has been written
• To put the agreement in writing
• He has difficulty in reading my writing.
NOTE : no plural
OUOTE : $30 million from usual company borrowings will either be amortized or written off in one sum. (Australian Financial Review)
QUOTE : The holding company has seen its earnings suffer from big write downs in conjunction with its $1 billion loan portfolio. (Duns Business Month)