dyn,dyna,dynam, & dynamo
are the Prefixes DYN & DYNAMO
which mean POWER
. It is really a DYNamo of a word. Wherever you see it there is POWER. Take a special minute for No. 13. It is one of the most wonderful words as an example for word building.
1. Dyne : DYN e (dine) n.
A unit of force
2. Dynagraph : DYNA graph (die’ na graf) n.
Apparatus for recording the condition of a line of track
3. Dynameter : DYNA meter (die name’ e ter) n.
Instrument for determining a telescope’s magnifying power
4. Dynamotor : DYNA motor (die’ na mote or) m.
A special kind of electric generator
5. Dynamic : DYNAM ic (die nam’ ik) adj.
6. Dynamism : DYNAM ic (die nam’ ik) adj.
7. Dynamist : DYNAM ist (die’ na mist) n.
One who believes in dynamism
8. Dynamistic : DYNAM istic (die na mist’ ik) adj.
Of or relating to dynamism
9. Dynamite : DYNAM ite (die’ na mite) n.
10. Dynamitic : DYNAM itic (die na mit’ ik) adj.
Like dynamite; having explosive force
11. Dynamo : DYNAMO (die’ na moe) n.
A machine for converting mechanical energy to electrical energy
12. Dynamoelectric : DYNAMO electric(die’ na moe e lek’ trik) adj.
Relating to the conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy
13. Dynamogenesis : DYN amogenesis (die’ am o jen’ e sis) n.
The production of power
14. Dynamometry : DYNAMO metry (die na mom’ e tree) n.
The process of measuring forces doing work
15. Dynamis : DYNAM is (die’ na mis) n.
The potential of power not yet realized
16. Dynamiter : DYNAM iter (die’ na mite er) n.
One who uses dynamite
17. Dynast : DYN ast (die’ nast) n.
An especially powerful ruler
18. Dynasty : DYN asty (die’ na stee) n.
An especially powerful line of kings
Etymology Index Page
From dyn,dyna,dynam, & dynamo to HOME PAGE