The ROOT-WORD is the Suffix ILE which means RELATING TO, SUITED FOR & CAPABLE OF. It is a tidy little one and says much in its three letters. Where it is seen it carries much weight, either in praise or blame. It can be a good recommendation or a bad one. It is a very revealing ROOT, and tells all very simply, without hedging. Senior citizens do not want to be called senILE, and a boy does not want to be called puerILE. AgILE is a compliment, but facILE isn’t. Don’t be too easy. Watch ILE.
1. Domicile : domic ILE (dom’ i sile) n.
A place for home and family
2. Docile : doc ILE (dos’ il) adj.
Easy to teach; amenable; as, a docile child
3. Agile : ag ILE (aj’ il) adj.
Suited to quick motion; graceful in movement
4. Ductile : duct ILE (duk’ til) adj.
Can be led; tractable
5. Fertile : fert ILE (fert’ il) adj.
Capable of being fruitful
6. Fragile : frag ILE (graj’ il) adj.
Can be broken easily; frail
7. Imbecile : imbec ILE (im’ be sil) adj.
Tending to be mentally weak; as, imbecile conduct
8. Mercantile : merchant ILE (mer’ kan tele) adj.
Relating to business; commercial
9. Juvenile : juven ILE (ju’ ven ile)adj.
Relating to youth; as, juvenile delinquency
10. Infantile : infant ILE (in’ fan tile) adj.
Relating to infancy; as, infantile behavior
11. Mobile : mob ILE (moe’ bil) adj.
Capable of being moved
12. Prehensile : prehens ILE (pree hen’ sil) adj.
Capable of grasping; as, the prehensile tail of a monkey
13. Projectile : project ILE (pro jek’ til)) adj.
Capable of being thrown
14. Senile : sen ILE (sene’ ile) adj.
Relating to old age
15. Reptile : rept ILE (rep’ til) n.
An animal that crawls; as, a snake
16. Puerile : puer ILE (pyu’ er il) adj.
Suited to a child; childish
17. Sterile : ster ILE (ster’ il) adj.
Tending to be barren; free from germs
18. Tactile : tact ILE (tak’ til) adj.
Capable of being touched; as tactile qualities
19. Volatile : volat IlE (vol’ at il) adj.
Capable of flying; light; buoyant
20. Versatile : versat ILE (ver’ sat il) adj.
Capable of varying; having various talents; as, a versatile genius
Go to the Etymology Index Page.