Intransitive Verbs

Intransitive Verbs :

Some verbs may be followed by a substantive denoting that which receives the action or is produced by it. These are called transitive verbs. All other verbs are called intransitive verbs.

A substantive that completes the meaning of a transitive verb is called its direct object.

The direct object is often called the object complement or merely the object of the verb.

1. Alfred has broken his arm.
2. Morse invented the electric telegraph.
3. Black foxes command a high price.
4. You have accomplished a task of great difficulty.
5. Have you lost the dog which your uncle gave you?
6. He asked me the news. [Two direct objects.]

Most of these objects are modified –

arm by the possessive his
telegraph by the and electric
price by a and high
task by the adjective phrase of great difficulty
dog by the and by the adjective clause which your uncle gave you

A noun clause may be used as the direct object of a verb.

1. You promised that my coat should be ready to-day.

2. The mayor ordered that the street should be closed for three hours.

3. I begged that my passport might be returned to me.

Intransitive Verbs :

Grammar Index

Intransitive Verbs To HOME PAGE

Related Links : Intransitive Verbs