is the Prefix MACRO
which means LARGE & EXCESSIVE
development. It is the opposite of the Prefix MICRO, small. This list of words with its abnormalities and manias would be good for writing a science fiction story or opening a circus. There is another zoological oddity I had no room for - MACRObiotus - a strange, bearlike, little animal whose naked body is transparent, andhas globules of fat which look like huge red corpuscles.
1. Macron : MACRO n (make’ ron) n.
A line over a vowel to show that it is long; as, a, long a, in place
2. Macrometer : MACRO meter (ma krom’ e ter) n.
Instrument to measure size and distance of objects
3. Macrotous : MACRO tous (ma kroe’ tus) adj.
Having large ears
4. Macrodont : MACRO don’t (mak’ ro don’t) adj.
Having large teeth
5. Macrocosm : MACRO cosm (mak; ro koz um) n.
The great world; universe
6. Macrocosmic : MACRO cosmic (mak ro koz’ mik) adj.
Relating to the great world
7. Macrocosmology: MACRO cosmology (mak ro koz mol’ o ji) n.
A description of the macrocosm
8. Macromania : MACRO mania (mak ro may’ ni a) n.
A delusion that parts of the patient’s body are bigger than they really are
9. Macrograph : MACRO graph (mak’ ro graf) n.
A photograph of an object magnified
10. Macrology : MACRO logy (ma krol’ o ji) n.
A great deal of talking
11. Macrography : MACRO graphy (ma krog’ ra fi) n.
Large size writing which shows a nervous disorder
12. Macrocyte : MACRO cyte (mak’ ro site) n.
Large red corpuscles that appear in anemias
13. Macrophage : MACRO phage (mak’ ro faje) n.
A large white cell
14. Macrophotograph: MACRO photograph (mak ro foe’ to graf) n.
The production of enlarged photographs
15. Macrochemistry : MACRO chemistry (mak ro kem’ is tri) n.
Chemistry which does not require a microscope
16. Macrocephalous : MACRO cephalous (mak ro sef’ a lus) adj.
Having a larger head than normal
17. Macrobiote : MACRO biote (mak ro bie’ ote) n.
One that lives a long time
18. Macrobiosis : MACRO biosis (mak ro bie o’ sis) n.
Length of life; longevity
19. Macrobian : MACRO bian (ma kroe’ bi an)adj.
Having lived a long time
20. Macrobiotics : MACRO biotics (mak ro bie ot’ iks) n.
The science of prolonging life
macro to HOME PAGE