The ROOT-WORD is the Prefix PARA which means BESIDE, ALONGSIDE & POSTION. There are other words with this root which it would be well for you to know, words such as PARAnoia, delusions of greatness; PARAphernalia, goods; PARAmount, etc. There is also a name which you would do well to remember, PARAcelsus, a Swiss physician who did a great deal for modern medicine. Paracelsus preceded Dr. Lister in the hard fight against blood-poisoning after surgical operations.
1. Parallel : PARA llel (par’ a lel) adj.
Lying evenly side by side; as, parallel lines
2. Parabasis : PARA basis (pa rab’ a sis) n.
An important ode by the chorus in old Greek comedy
3. Parabiosis : PARA biosis (par a bie o’ sis) n.
Union of two organisms
4. Parabola : PARA bola (pa rab’ o la) n.
A plane curve’ shaped like a bowl
5. Parablepsy : PARA blepsy (par’ a blep si) n.
Vision that is abnormal
6. Paracentral : PARA central (par a sen’ tral) adj.
Lying near the center
7. Parachronism : PARA chronism (par ak’ roe niz um) n.
An error in chronology; a date set too late
8. Paraclete : PARA clete (par’ a klete) n.
A helper; comforter; a term applied to the Holy Spirit
9. Paradigm : PARA digm (par’ a dime) n.
An example; a model
10. Parable : PARA ble (par’ a b’l) n.
A story told to emphasize a point; a fable
11. Paradox : PARA dox (par’ a doks) n.
An opinion which seems contradictory and sometimes is
12. Paradromic : PARA dromic (par a drom’ ik) adj.
13. Parody : PAR ody (par’ ode e) n.
An imitation mocking the original
14. Paracusia : PARA cusia (pas a que’ si a) n.
Any hearing disorder
15. Paralysis : PARA lysis (pa ral’ a sis) n.
Loss of the function of motion
16. Paragraph : PARA graph (par’ a graf) n.
A section of a composition which completes one topic
17. Paragon : PARA gon (par’ a gon) n.
A model of perfection
18. Paraphrase : PARA phrase (par’ a fraze) n.
A restatement of a text, giving the meaning in another form
19. Paradental : PARA dental (par a den’ tal) adj.
Near a tooth
20. Parachromaism : PARA chromatism (par a kro’ ma tiz um) n.