The ROOT-WORD is the Prefix PER which means THROUGH. It is a very useful one. Small as it is, it speaks a mouthful, and every time. Whether it is a matter of paying toll PER capita, or taking down words PER minute, working for a PERcentage, or making coffee in your PERcolator, this little one is working for you. It is a great favorite in Latin phrases.
1. Per annum :PER annum (per an’ um) adv.
In each year; for each year
2. Per capita :PER capita (per kap’ it a) adv.
For each head; by each unit of population
3. Perforated :PER forated (per’ for rate ed) adj.
Bored through; as, perforated paper
4. Perennial :PER ennial (pe ren’ ee al) adj.
Through the years; year after year
5. Peradeventure :PER adventure (per ad ven’ chur) n.
A matter of chance; uncertainty
6. Peregrinate :PER egrinate (per’ e grin ate) c.
To walk through; to travel; especially, on foot
7. Perambulate :PER ambulate (pe ram’ byu late) v.
Walk through; traverse; promenade
8. Perceive :PER ceive (per seve’) v.
To understand; to take cognizance of
9. Perception :PER caption (per sep’ shun) n.
Act of knowing truths; insight; awareness
10. Perceptive :PER captive (per sep’ tiv) adj.
Having keen perception
11. Percolate :PER collate (per’ ko late) v.
To drip through; to filter
12. Percent :PER cent (per sent’) n.
The parts in the hundred
13. Percentage :PER centage (per sent’ ij) n.
Rate of interest; so many per hundred
14. Percurrent :PER current (per kur’ ent) adj.
Running through; as the midrib of a leaf
15. Percussion :PER cussion (per kush’ un) n.
The striking of sound; as, the drum and the piano are percussion instruments
16. Percussive :PER cussive (per kus’ iv) adj.
Operated by percussion; as, the percussive force
17. Peremptory :PER emptory (pe remp’ to ree) adj.
Final; with authority; as, a peremptory command
18. Perfection :PER fection (per fek’ shun) n.
Thoroughly made; state of complete development
Go to the Etymology Index Page.