This ROOT-WORD is PHOTO which means LIGHT. It comes from the Greek, phos, photos. This Root is very much involved in PHOTOgraphy of all kinds; so much, in fact, that we think the word PHOTO means PICTURE. We have completely forgotten the LIGHT without which there can be no picture. We must get into the habit of remembering that PHOTO means LIGHT. The word PHOTON (No.9) will help us. A PHOTON is a unit of light intensity, and pictures are taken with that aid.
1. Photobiotic : PHOTO biotic (fote o bie ot’ ik) adj.
Requiring light to live
2. Photochromy : PHOTO chromy (foe’ to kro mi) n.
3. Photodromy : PHOTO dromy (foe’ to kro mi) n.
Movement in the direction of light
4. Photograph : PHOTO graph (fote’ o graf) n.
A picture made by the action of light on a sensitized plate
5. Photography : PHOTO graphy (fo tog’ ra fee) n.
The process of making photographs
6. Photographer : PHOTO grapher (fo tog’ ra fer) n.
One who makes photographs
7. Photographee : PHOTO graphee (foe to graf ee’) n.
One whose picture is taken
8. Photogenic : PHOTO genic (fote o jen’ ik) adj.
Capable of being photographed well
9. Photon : PHOTO n (foe’ ton) n.
A unit of light intensity
10. Photology : PHOTO logy (foe tol’ o ji) n.
Science of light; optics
11. Photometer : PHOTO meter (foe tom’ et er) n.
An instrument for measuring the intensity of light
12. Photopathy : PHOTO pathy (foe top’ a thi) n.
Disease caused by light
13. Photoengraving : PHOTO engraving (fote o en grave’ ing) n.
Engraving with the aid of photography
14. Photogram : PHOTO gram (fote’ o gram) n.
A photograph of a shadowy
15. Photokinesis : PHOTO kinesis (fote o ki nee’ sis) n.
Movement induced by light
16. Photomicroscope: PHOTO microscope(foe to mie’ kro skope) n.
A combination of microscope and camera
17. Photocombustion: PHOTO combustion (foe to kom bus’ chun) n.
Combustion induced by the action of light
18. Photodynamic : PHOTO dynamic (fote o die nam’ ik) adj.
Intensifying a reaction to light that is stoxic
19. Photograstroscope: PHOTO gastroscope(foe to gas’ tro skope) n.
Instrument for photographing the interior of the stomach
20. Photogrammetry : PHOTO grammetry (fote o gram’ e tree) n.
Art of making maps from photographs taken from above
Follow These Links!