This ROOT-WORD is PORTION which means PART & SHARE. That part is simple enough. We all know what a PORTION of pie is. But in the variations of the word there is often a bit of trouble. Read the list carefully; notice the change in meaning as each ROOT is added. Read the meanings carefully. Then you will be able to use this word correctly. It is a fine word when understood and carefully used.
1. Portion : PORTION (por’ shun) n.
A part; a share; as, a portion of pie
2. Portion : PORTION (por’ shun) v.
To divide into parts; as, portion off a piece of land
3. Portionable : PORTION able (por’ shun a b’l) adj.
Can be divided
4. Portioner : PORTION er (por’ shun er) n.
The one who divides
5. Portionless : PORTION less (por’ shun les) adj.
Without a portion; without a dowry
6. Apportion : ap PORTION (ap por’ shun) v.
To give out a portion to each one
7. Apportionable : ap PORTION able (a por’ shun a b’l) adj.
Can be apportioned; as, the estate is apportionable
8. Apportionment : ap PORTION ment (ap por’shun ment) n.
The act of the division; the act of giving to each one his portion
9. Proportion : pro PORTION (pro por’ shun) n.
The relation of one share to others
10. Proportionately : pro PORTION ately (pro por’ shun ate) adj.
Being in proportion; as results proportionate to efforts
11. Proportionately : pro PORTION ately (pro por’ shun ate lee) adv.
Being in proper measure
12. Proportionateness: pro PORTION ateness(pro por’ shun at nes) n.
State of proper portion
13. Proportional : pro PORTION al (pro por’ shun) adj.
Divided into the right proportion
14. Proportionalism : pro PORTION alism(pro por’ shun zl iz um) n.
The principle of electing officers in proportion to population
15. Proportionality : pro PORTION ality(pro por shu nal’ it ee) n.
Quality of being proportional
16. Disproportion : dispro PORTION (dis pro por’ shun) adj.
Not in proportion; not suitable
17. Disproportionate: dispro PORTION ate (dis pro por’ shun at) adj.
Not fairly apportioned
18. Disproportionately: dispro PORTION ately (dis pro por’ shun at lee) adv.
Not fairly divided
19. Proportioned : pro PORTION ed (pro por’ shund) adj.
Divided fairly; suitable; as the punishment was proportioned to the crime
Go to the Etymology Index Page.
From portion to HOME PAGE