These ROOT-WORDS are RIDI, RISI & RI meaning LAUGHTER. It comes from ridere & risus. The Romans were not, I’m afraid, a gay and happy people. Their ridi and risi were, for the most part, the laughter which mocks and hurts, not the laughter which heals and helps. The only words which are pleasant in laughter with this Root are RIant, RIantly, and RIancy. You may have heard the heartbreaking laughter of “Ridi, Pagliaccio . . . “Laugh, Clown, laugh . . ." in the opera.
1. Ridibund : RIDI bund (ri’ di bund) adj.
Tending to laughter
2. Ridicule : RIDI cule (rid’ i kyule) n.
Laughter at the expense of another; mockery
3. Ridicule : RIDI culd (rid’ i kyule) v.
To mock; as, to ridicule another
4. Ridiculer : RIDI culer (Rid’ i kyule er) n.
One who mocks another
5. Ridiculosity : RIDI culosity (ri dik yu los’ i ti) n.