A Word A Day : Inadvertent
Tuesday, 19th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : ìnnad-vúrt'-nt
1. Marked by unintentional lack of care
2. Done unintentionally or without thinking
3. Failing to pay enough attention or take enough care
4. Occurring unexpectedly
15th century - Via Old French advertir - notice - Latin advertere - turn toward - vertere - to turn
undesigned, undevised, unintended, unintentional, unmeant, unplanned, unwitting,accidental, careless, involuntary, accidental
stresses chance. Fortuitous
so strongly suggests chance that it often connotes absence of cause.
advertent, attentive, deliberate, intentional, planned
• Some professional sports stars serve as inadvertent
role models for young people.
• An autobiography, when confronted by a careful editor with documentary evidence, is usually found to be full of obviously inadvertent
• His remarks were nothing, but an inadvertent
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Inadvertent to HOME PAGE