A Word A Day : Solace
Friday, 2nd May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb & Noun )
Past and past participle : solaced
Present participle : solacing
3rd person present singular : solaces
Pronunciation : sól-less
1. comfort at a time of sadness, grief, or disappointment
2. somebody or something that provides comfort at a time of sadness, grief, or disappointment
3. to comfort somebody at a time of sadness, grief or disappointment
4. to give hope to in time of grief or pain
13th century - Via French - Latin solatium - solari - to comfort
consolation, console, soothe, comfort, peace, give comfort, peace
trouble, upset, worry, discord, disharmony
• They solaced
their wretchedness, however, by duets after supper.
• The third are gratiosi, favorites; such as exceed not this scantling, to be solace
to the sovereign, and harmless to the people.
• The minister's visit was the dying man's only solace
• His poverty drove him to seek increasing solace
• His music was a solace
to me during my illness.
• Surrounded by unhappiness at home, John Sr. early on found solace
and certainty in the realm of science and technology.
• But immediately afterwards he dispels the agony by finding his customary solace
in tales of chivalry.
• It provided some solace
that three large, highly conservative insurance companies were willing to bet on my life.
• Lillian's Lutheranism, with its harsh creed that suffering was a sign of God's favor, solaced
: Noun - Plural
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Solace to HOME PAGE