theo & the
These ROOT-WORDS are THE & THEO which come from Theos meaning GOD. There has not been room on the list for names like Theodore and Theodora which have the gracious meaning of “gift from God." The only word with a Prefix is No. 19. The a is really ab which means away; away from
1. Thearchy : THE archy (thee’ ar ki) n.
Government under God
2. Theocracy : THEO cracy (the ok’ ra see) n.
Government directed by priests or clergy representing God
3. Theocentric : THEO centric (thee o sen’ trik) adj.
Assuming God to be the center
4. Theocrat : THEO crat (the’ o krat) n.
One who favors a theocracy
5. Theocratic : THEO critic (the o krat’ ik) adj.
Relating to a theocracy
6. Theocratically : THEO critically (the o krat’ i ka lee) adv.
In the manner of a theocracy
7. Theodicy : THE odicy (the od’ i see) n.
A defense of God’s justice
8. Theody : THE ody (thee’ od i) n.
A hymn in praise of God
9. Theogamy : THEO gamy (the og’ a mi) n.
The marriage of gods
10. Theolatry : THEO logaster (the ol’ a tri) n.
Worship of God
11. Theologaster : THEO logaster (the ol o gas’ ter) n.
A theological quack
12. Theology : THEO logy (the ol’ o jee) n.
The study of the elements of religion
13. Theologist : THEO logist (the ol’ o jist) n.
One versed in the study or religion
14. Theologize : THEO logize (the ol’ o jize) v.
Be occupied with religion
15. Theologian : THEO logian (the o lo’ jan) n.
A theological scholar, Same as No.13
16. Theomania : THEO mania (the o may’ ni a) n.
A condition in which the patient imagines himself to be God
17. Theomancy : THEO mancy (the’ o man si) n.
Divination by responses of divinely inspired oracles
18. Theomastix : THEO mastix (the o mas’ tiks) n.
A scourge to mortals designated by the divinity
19. Atheist : a THE ist (ay’ the ist) n.
One who does not believe in the existence of God