Wednesday, 30th January 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : es-thιt-tik
1. (used with a singular verb)The branch of philosophy that deals with the nature and expression of beauty, as in the fine arts
2. (used with a singular verb)In Kantian philosophy, the branch of metaphysics concerned with the laws of perception
3. (used with a singular verb)The study of the psychological responses to beauty and artistic experiences
4. (used with a singular or plural verb)A conception of what is artistically valid or beautiful: minimalist aesthetics
5. (used with a singular or plural verb)An artistically beautiful or pleasing appearance
Early 19th century - Greek aisthētikos - perceptual - aisthesthai - perceive
artful, artistic, creative, esthetic, gorgeous, inventive
Graceful means characterized by beauty of movement, style, or form.
Gracious means characterized by charm, good taste, kindness and generosity of spirit.
displeasing, ugly, unattractive, disregard, disrespect
The architect was very concerned with the building's aesthetics.
The play was an aesthetic success.
What troubled him was the squalor of aesthetic.
I speak now from the aesthetic and artistic point of view when I say that life with us is dull.
They're looking for quality construction, not aesthetics.
A generous Age of Aquarius aesthetic said that everything was art.
esthetic : Adjective
aesthetically : Adverb
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index