Pronunciation : dī-dák-tik
1. Inclined to teach or moralize excessively
2. Morally instructive
3. Intended to instruct
4. The art or science of teaching
Greek didaktikos, skillful in teaching, from didaktos, taught, from didaskein, didak-, to teach, educate
academic, advisory, donnish, edifying, enlightening, exhortative, expository, homiletic, hortative, instructive, moral, moralizing, pedagogic, pedantic, preachy, preceptive, schoolmasterish, sermonic, sermonizing, teacherish, teacherly, teachy, moralistic, improving, educational, informative, teaching
undidactic, uneducation, uninstructional,
• In the opinion of many students, the professor's didactic approach was too heavy.
• Luther's seemingly amusing talk had a didactic purpose. He was trying to show his listeners the difference between right and wrong.
• The Priest's conversation was always didactic. He never said anything that wasn't intended to teach a lesson.
• The new novel is painfully didactic. The author’s aim is always to instruct and never to entertain.
• It is so intensely and deliberately didactic, and its subject is esteemed so dry, that I delight in throwing it at the heads of the wiseacres who repeat the parrot cry that art should never be didactic.
• He had already written a didactic poem in which he set forth his reasons for adhering to the English Church.
• didactically : Adverb
• didacticism : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.