Tuesday, 27th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : se-lérre-tee
1. quickness in movement or in doing something ( literary )
2. swiftness of action or motion
3. the characteristic of doing things without delay
4. to quicken the natural or ordinary progression or process of
5. the relative speed of progress or change
15th century - Via French - Latin celeritas - celer - swift
dispatch, expedition, expeditiousness, fleetness, haste, hurry, hustle, quickness, rapidity, rapidness, speed, speediness, swiftness
• They moved with great celerity when they heard about the flood.
• For the helmet of Pluto, which maketh the politic man go invisible, is secrecy in the counsel, and celerity in the execution.
• Time, with all its celerity, moves slowly to him whose whole employment is to watch its flight.
• Celeritas : Noun
A Word A Day Index