A Word A Day : Fiend
Monday, 26th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : fee-nd
1. an evil supernatural being, especially a devil from hell
2. somebody regarded as wicked or cruel
3. a mischievous or annoying person, especially a child
4. an ardent enthusiast of a subject or activity
5. somebody with a specialized skill or talent
Old English fçond - hated person, enemy - (hence - the enemy of everyone - the devil) - fçogan - to hate - Germanic
archfiend, beast, devil, ghoul, monster, ogre, tiger, vampire, bug, devotee, enthusiast, fanatic, maniac, zealot, avernal, diabolical, fiendish, frantic, frenzied, infernal, malevolent, Mephistophelian, sardonic, satanic, saturnine, addict, barbarian, beast, brute, demon, energumen, incubus, Mephistopheles, obsessed, savage, scoundrel, succubus
• A werewolf is often thought to be a fiend in supernatural stories.
• She's a real math fiend.
• Those little fiends ate all the cake!
• She's an absolute fiend when she's angry.
• Those children are little fiends.
• Under the tutelage of the mad god, White Fang became a fiend.
• The fiend in his own shape is less hideous than when he rages in the breast of man.
• The large dog appeared to be fiendish as it appeared in the light of the campfire.
• Fiends : Noun - Plural
• Fiendish : Adjective
• Fiendishness : Noun
• Fiendishly : Adverb
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Fiend to HOME PAGE