Monday, 31st December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( adjective )
Pronunciation : diss-káwrd-nt
1. consisting of sounds, usually musical notes, that are harsh, unpleasant, or clashing
2. not being in accord
3. devoid of harmony and accord
4. made up of parts or qualities that are disparate or otherwise markedly lacking in consistency
NOTE:Discord is a lack of harmony often marked by bickering and antipathy
13th century - Via French - Latin discordia - discord-, stem of discors - cors - heart
antagonistic, antipathetic, at odds, cacophonous, clashing, contradictory, contrariant, contrary, different, disagreeing, discrepant, dissonant, divergent, grating, harsh, incompatible, incongruous, inconsistent, inconsonant, inharmonious, jangling, jarring, opposite, quarreling, sour note, strident, uncongenial, unharmonious, unmelodious, unmixable
agreeable, agreeing, compatible, cooperating, harmonious, euphonious, harmonic, melodious, congruous, corresponding, peaceful
• There is no longer the measured quiet sound of throbbing activity, like the sound of boiling water, but diverse discordant sounds of disorder.
• The out of tune piano produced only discordant notes.
• There arose a tumult of discordant sounds that filled Oliver Twist with amazement.
discordantly : Adverb
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index