A Word A Day : Delineate
Sunday, 30th December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb )
( past and past participle: delineated
present participle : delineating
3rd person present singular : delineates )
Pronunciation : di-línnee-àyt
1. to describe or explain something in detail ( formal )
2. to sketch or draw something in outline
3. to represent something visually using something such as a chart or graph
4. to indicate the physical boundaries of something
Mid-16th century - Latin delineat - past participle of Latin delineare - sketch out - linea
characterize, chart, define, depict, detail, draft, draw, figure, lay out, limn, mark, plot, portray, represent, sketch out, trace
cloud, confuse, muddle, obfuscate, dilate, expand, free, loose, open
• In her speech she delineated
the city plan with great care.
• He delineated
the state of Texas on the map with a red pencil.
• There is a period, which occurred between the time of being hatcheled and that of being woven, that it exceeds my powers to delineate
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
From Delineate to HOME PAGE