Thursday, 23rd August 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb & Noun )
Pronunciation : (fi-nes')
1. To accomplish by the use of finesse
2. To handle with a deceptive or evasive strategy
3. To play (a card) as a finesse
4. To make a finesse in cards
5. Refinement and delicacy of performance, execution, or artisanship
6. Skillful, subtle handling of a situation
7. A stratagem in which one appears to decline an advantage
8. A method of leading up to a tenace, as in bridge, in order to prevent an opponent from winning the trick with an intermediate card
French, fineness, subtlety, from fin, fine
• Experience is what allows us to repeat our mistakes, only with more finesse!
• She was not experienced enough in the finesse of love or the duties of friendship.
Finessed, Finessing, Finesses : Verbs
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |