Thursday, 17th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : ímpye-d'nt
1. showing a lack of respect and excessive boldness
2. marked by casual disrespect
3. improperly forward or bold
4. characterized by impertinence or effrontery
14th century - Latin impudent - pudent - ashamed - present participle of pudere - feel ashamed
bold, brazen, impertinent, sassy, insolent, rude, disrespectful, impolite, presumptuous, ill-mannered, mouthy, cheeky, assuming, assumptive, audacious, boldfaced, brash, contumelious, familiar, forward, impertinent, malapert, nervy, overconfident, pert, presuming, pushy, saucy, smart
respectful, humble, modest, polite, respectful, retiring
• The student was kept late for impudent behavior.
• With a foolish smile Pyotr raised his hat, with its colored band, at the window, in token of farewell. An impudent conductor slammed the door and the latch.
• impudence : Noun
• impudicity : Noun
• impudently : Adverb
A Word A Day Index