Friday, 25th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : too-mid
1. describes a body part or organ that is swollen
2. ostentatiously lofty in style
3. filled up with or as if with something insubstantial
Mid-16th century - Latin tumidus - tumere - swell
flatulent, inflated, overblown, tumescent, turgid, windy,
• With all his tumid boasts, he's like the sword-fish, who only wears his weapon in his mouth.
• So high as heaved the tumid hills, so low Down sunk a hollow bottom broad and deep, Capacious bed of waters.
• tumidity : Noun
• tumidly : Adverb
• tumidness : Noun
A Word A Day Index