A Word A Day : Guile
Wednesday, 23rd April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : gil
1. a cunning, deceitful or treacherous quality
2. the act or practice of deceiving
3. shrewdness as demonstrated by being skilled in deception
Middle English, from Old French, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English wigle, divination, sorcery.
cunning, astuteness, treachery, slyness, wiliness, craftiness, cleverness, deviousness, deceit, duplicity, trickiness, deceitfulness
artlessness, candor, frankness, honesty, naivety, openness, sincerity
• The speaker seemed to be full of guile
so I did not believe a word of the speech.
• From the time he received this news to the end of the campaign all Kutuzov's activity was directed toward restraining his troops, by authority, by guile
and by entreaty, from useless attacks, maneuvers or encounters with the perishing enemy.
• Society had three arms in its contest with the individual, laws, public opinion and conscience: the first two could be met by guile
. But not the third one.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Guile to HOME PAGE